In the early years of the 20th century (before the founding of the Toronto Symphony Orchestra in 1922), the Choir, under conductor Augustus Vogt, brought a number of stellar American symphonic orchestras to Toronto for well-received performances with the Choir. These partnerships started in 1902 with concerts with the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra under conductor Victor Herbert. Later parternships included concerts with the Theodore Thomas Orchestra of Chicago (which became the Chicago Symphony Orchestra), the Philadelphia Orchestra, and the Cincinnati Orchestra.
This photo of the Choir (with an unnamed children’s chorus) and the Theodore Thomas Orchestra was taken in 1911 at Massey Hall. (Courtesy of Toronto Public Library Archives).
Read more TMC history posts here.