Work With Us
A team focused on championing choral music
We have a strong artistic and administrative team supported and guided by an experienced Board of Directors. Join us.
The Toronto Mendelssohn Choir is seeking enthusiastic and engaged candidates to join its 12-member Board of Directors. The Board’s main focus is on the long term strategic direction, sustainability and financial performance of Canada’s flagship choral organization.
We are looking for directors who will share the following attributes with our current members:
- knowledge about and/or experience with the performing arts sector;
- an expressed or demonstrated commitment to the Mission, Vision and Values of the TMC;
- ability to think strategically and engage in sound, collaborative decision-making processes;
- the commitment to act with independence of mind, and in the best interests of the organization as a whole;
- dedication to commit the time required of a director. Knowledge about and/or past experience with non-profit boards is valued.
Directors are also expected to possess and demonstrate a genuine interest in advancing the mission of the TMC:
- Attend all board meetings, retreats and special events
- Appropriately prepare by reading and analyzing materials in advance.
- Engage at meetings by contributing expertise (management, financial, legal, etc.)
- Own priorities and work on tasks between meetings
- Provide leadership to sub-committees or working groups according to your interests and expertise.
- Attend and purchase tickets for TMC subscription performances and be willing to act as ambassador for TMC guests.
- Make an annual personal financial gift according to your means. This will be explored and agreed to in a personal meeting between the Board Chair/ Executive Director and each Director.
- Help with fundraising efforts in whatever way is most appropriate. This will be explored and agreed to in a personal meeting between the Board Chair/ Executive Director and each Director.
- Serve as an ambassador between the organization and the community
- Learn enough about the organization to portray it accurately.
- Fulfill commitments on time.
What Board members can expect from the TMC organization.
- Clear and reasonable expectations.
- Consistent, timely communication from the Executive Director and other staff.
- Access to any information needed about the organization.
- Training, encouragement and strategic advice to carry out tasks.
- Respect for the time, views, and talents you offer to the Board.
The TMC is committed to diversity within its community and welcomes applications from minority groups members and persons with disabilities.
If you have a passion for classical music performance and education, and would like to lend your expertise and experience to Canada’s champion of choral music, please contact Anna Kajtár, Executive Director at 416.598.0422, ext 222 or email@example.com.