TMC Choral Composition Competition
2018 Competition submission deadline: October 15, 2018
The Toronto Mendelssohn Choir launched a new annual Choral Composition Competition for emerging composers in June 2015. The winners of this competition receive the Debbie Fleming Prize for Choral Composition in the amount of $1,000, and the winning work is premiered by the TMC at one of their concerts.
Debbie Fleming is a TMC alumna who sang in the Toronto Mendelssohn Choir for 40 years and who retired in June 2015. The TMC is grateful for Debbie’s commitment to the enrichment of the TMC’s education program and to the growth of Canadian choral music.
Previous Prize winners
2016: Elizabeth Ekholm of Montreal, Quebec for Prayer of St. Francis. This work was performed at the June 4, 2017 Choral Splendour concert. (You can watch the webcast of the full concert here).
2015: Stuart Beach of Regina, Saskatchewan for Psalm 100. This work was performed at the January 2016 Choral Conductors’ Symposium concert. (You can watch the webcast of the full concert here).
2018 Competition Eligibility and Guidelines
The TMC Choral Composition Competition is open to unpublished Canadian composers. There is no age restriction.
Works to be submitted must be unpublished, but do not need to have been composed specifically for this competition.
Works to be submitted must be
- not more than 5 minutes in length.
- a sacred or secular work for the Christmas season. Arrangements of already-composed Christmas carols are acceptable. The composed work should be accessible to a wide range of listeners.
- scored for SATB or double choir, either a cappella or accompanied by organ.
- composed using a text that is 1) original (written by the composer), 2) in the public domain, or 3) under copyright, but with written permission of the copyright holder.
- in manuscript produced using music notation software.
TMC Interim Conductor David Fallis and a jury of peers will review the applications. One winner will be announced.
- Applicants should send two copies of the composition with the Choral Composition Competition Entry Form and a $35 non-refundable fee to the Toronto Mendelssohn Choir, 720 Bathurst Street, Suite 404, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 2R4. Submissions may be made electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The composer’s name, text source and any other identifying marks should appear only on the first page of the manuscript, and only on the first copy. (The jurors will receive anonymized scores to review.)
- A cappella works should be written in open score with a piano reduction underneath.
The deadline for submissions is October 15, 2018.
The Winning Composition
The winning composer will receive the Debbie Fleming Prize for Choral Composition, a cash award of $1,000.
The winning composition will be performed at the TMC’s Festival of Carols performances on December 4 & 5, 2018.
The winner of the competition will give the right to the Toronto Mendelssohn Choir to webcast the premiere performance of the winning composition live on livestream.com and post a video of the performance on YouTube.
For more details:
Kathleen Stevenson, Manager of Artistic Operations
416-598-0422 ext 223