Vogt Memorial Stained Glass Window

Dr. Augustus Vogt, founder of the TMC, died in 1926. In April 1929 a stained glass window to his memory was unveiled in St. Paul’s Bloor Street during a service in which the Choir sang Bach’s B Minor Mass.  The window was the gift of friends and members of the Choir. You can still see this window today on the east wall of St. Paul’s.

The dedication on the window (on either side of the ribbon “The Toronto Mendelssohn Choir” with the TMC’s lyre symbol) reads:

To the glory of God and in honoured memory of Augustus Stephen Vogt Mus. Doc. Founder of the Mendelssohn Choir of Toronto and its conductor from 1894 to 1917. Musical Director of the Toronto Conservatory of Music 1913 to 1926 and Dean of the Faculty of Music in the University of Toronto: who died 17th September 1926 aged 65 years. This window was erected in 1929 by members and friends of the Mendelssohn Choir.

#TMC125 #ThrowbackThursday

Read more TMC history tidbits here.

Categories: TMCHistory.