Supporting young singers
This Toronto choral program supports experienced young choristers — aged 17-22 — in becoming part of the TMChoir.
As part of the TMChoir’s mission to make great choral masterworks accessible to singers of all ages, we invite singers who have experience singing in an ensemble, between the ages of 17 and 22, to join the Toronto Mendelssohn Choir.
Apprentice choristers are mentored by an experienced TMChoir chorister, and receive two voice coaching sessions in each term (total of four sessions) by a qualified instructor associated with the TMChoir. In addition, the TMChoir covers the cost of joining the Choir (a value of approximately $650), including:
- membership and music deposit fees
- choir uniform
Singers must be willing and able to commit to an exciting schedule of rehearsals and performances (approx. 200 hours in total from September to June). Regular rehearsals are held on Monday nights from 7:00-9:30 pm at Yorkminster Park Baptist Church (Yonge & St. Clair). Additional rehearsals are held preceding each performance. For students, attendance requirements may be adjusted based on school schedules.
Annual auditions are held in the spring and early September.
- Complete and submit the online application form. Someone from the TMChoir office will contact you.
- Prepare a solo musical selection of your own choosing to sing at your audition. An piano accompanist will be provided – please bring an extra copy of your score.
- Prepare the assigned musical excerpts – these will be provided to you once an audition has been booked.
- During the audition you will be asked to sing a series of simple vocal exercises to determine your range and overall musical ability.
- The audition will also include a simple sight-singing exercise.
For a rhythm example, look at The Offertorium from Benjamin Britten’s War Requiem.
For a sight-singing example, look at Gently, Lord, O Gently Lead Us by Nathaniel Dett.
For further information, contact the Manager of Artistic Operations at 416.598.0422, ext. 223 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that not everyone who applies will be granted an audition.
The Toronto Mendelssohn Choir aims to provide a creatively fulfilling, safe and healthy environment that is inclusive of people who identify as various races, genders, abilities, and sexual orientations. We aim to ensure positive and respectful relationships that are demonstrated by welcome, friendship and support among our members for everyone involved in our organization. The TMChoir’s Creating a Safe Creative Space initiative, Policy on Harassment and Workplace Violence, and the Chorister Guidelines together outline Toronto Mendelssohn Choir’s collective values and the expectations about how we will treat each other and those who interact with us. For more information, go to https://www.tmchoir.org/creating-a-safe-creative-space/.