TMC Apprentice Program
As part of the TMC’s mission to make great choral masterworks accessible to singers of all ages, we invite experienced choristers between 17-22 years of age to join the Toronto Mendelssohn Choir for 6 performances and associated rehearsals over the 2013/14 season. Four performances are in the fall academic term and two in the spring. As well, Apprentice choristers have the option to be part of the TMC for Handel’s Messiah with the TSO in December.
Apprentice choristers are mentored by an adult TMC chorister, and receive two voice coaching sessions in each term (total of 4 sessions) by a qualified instructor associated with the TMC. In addition, the TMC covers the cost of joining the Choir (a value of approximately $500), including:
- membership and music fees
- choir uniform
- travel allowance of $50 per term
Download the 2013/14 Apprentice schedule of performances and rehearsals. This is just a preliminary draft, and subject to change come September. Please review the schedule prior to your audition (which shows the commitment required of our choristers).
TMC Apprentice choristers must commit to attending all performances on the TMC apprentice schedule, and 80% of rehearsals. All “full” and “dress” rehearsals must be attended.
Auditions for the 2013/14 season will be held during the first week of September.
- Download the Apprentice Application Form and mail it to Toronto Mendelssohn Choir, 720 Bathurst St, Ste 404, Toronto, ON M5S 2R4. You can also email it to email@example.com . We will contact you with an audition time.
- Prepare a piece of your own choosing to sing at your audition. This can be any classical selection, a hymn or song. Bring two copies with you to the audition; an accompanist will be provided.
- During the audition, you will be given scales to sing to determine your placement within the choir, sight-reading and rhythm tests.
For further information on the TMC Apprentice Program
Contact Cynthia Hawkins , Executive Director
416-598-0422 ext 222
Contact Kimber Jonah , Administrator
416-598-0422 ext 221